The other day, while reading Chris Kresser’s great “Paleo Diet Challenges & Solutions” series, I found out about a new line of supplements called Paleologix, which was designed by Kresser and best-selling author Robb Wolf specifically for people who’ve gone Paleo.
Obviously, anything associated with one of these guys, let alone both of them, is going to pique your interest. So, I reached out to Robb and got him to answer a few questions about Paleologix.
Brian: How did you and Chris Kresser come up with the idea for Paleologix?
Robb: Over a year ago Chris and I were talking on the phone and just comparing notes as to what types of problems folks tend to have when starting Paleo. We were both pretty floored that we saw very similar patterns (GI issues, low energy, difficulty with metabolism). We were even more surprised that we were recommending essentially the same supplements to address these issues. This got us thinking that we could put together better formulations to better help people make the transition to Paleo. Over a year of work, frustrations and small bits of triumph, Paleologix is ready to roll out.
Brian: What is it that causes these “issues?” Is it just that the Standard American Diet has robbed our bodies of naturally performing at their best, that we live in a fast-paced and chronically stressful environment, all of the above?
Robb: We see a LOT of digestive issues with folks going from vegetarian to Paleo. It might be nutrient deficiencies, changes in gut flora, down regulated HCl production…perhaps all for these. The mechanism of causation might even be different from person to person, but the solution (digestive support) is typically the same.
Brian: Most of the Paleo literature states that you should be able to get all of the nutrients you need from clean food. Why should someone consider supplements in general, Paleologix specifically?
Robb: I can easily make an argument the Paleo foods are, calorie for calorie, the most nutritious foods one can eat. So, by extensions, Paleo eating is the most nutritious way a person can eat. The problem for some folks is they may be so nutrient deficient (very low b-vitamin status in vegetarians for example) that it is hard for these people to initially handle dense protein, or absorb and digest fat. Smart supplementation is just there to help get people “over the hump” such that their body is able to thrive on Paleo.
Brian: How is it that one supplement or, in this case, a group of supplements can take care of a vast majority of the problems people are having? I try not to be a skeptic, but this almost sounds too good to be true.
Robb: It’s a good question. I guess my best answer is we have three broad categories which the problems fall into: digestion, low energy/sugar cravings and sluggish metabolism. The nutrients in Paleologix are likely going to be “very” helpful for 80-90% of folks, with efficacy dropping off from there for the remaining 10%. The “ideal” situation would be doing 1-on-1 consulting with someone like Chris Kresser such that one can get a customized solution. That’s obviously not possible, so the Paleologix line is an attempt to address the most common issues in a broad but effective way. It’s a bit like personal training vs. following an online workout like CrossFit. For most people, the online version will be just fine, but for some folks they need to take on the extra cost and effort of private coaching.
Brian: How would a beginner to eating Paleo benefit from Paleologix? What about someone who has been following the diet for a while?
Robb: The beginner might have one or all for the triad of problems we see: Poor digestion, sugar cravings/low energy and a sluggish detox system. Chris actually wrote a 5 part series trying to help folks figure out if they have any of these issues. I’m actually a good example of someone who ate Paleo for several years but never quite had the “digestive fire” that I needed. In my research about digestion I noticed a lot of material on low stomach acid and its associated symptoms. I started supplementing with a basic digestive aid and that final 20% of digestive efficiency I was always looking for fell into place.
Brian: Is this program meant to be taken once, or is it ongoing supplementation?
Robb: Most folks will use Paleologix for 3-6 months.
Brian: It’s probably a silly question, but is Paleologix free from the gluten, wheat, and rice that tends to find its way into other supplements?
Robb: Ha! Yes, that is part of why it took over a year to get these formulations “right.”
Brian: Do you have any other things in the works?
Robb: Just wrapping up this nutrition certification. That’s the big goal for the first part of 2013.
Brian: Is this nutrition certification a personal thing for you, or are you putting together a certificate course for people?
Robb: The cert will be for trainers/coaches, allied healthcare and MD/DO/DC and should be live in about three months!